The Call and The Wait

We got it today. "The Call." From "Valerie"- that said, "We would love to offer your daughter a spot at our school. Would you like to accept?"

I said yes, with as much enthusiasm as when I said yes to Ben when he asked me to marry him- which only further demonstrates how emotional this entire experience has been for me. Her laughter clearly communicated she was taken aback. I teared up for two reasons. 1- it is over. The stress of whether or not my kid gets to go to kindergarten next year is over (aka, FREEDOM FOR MAMA!!!) but then 2- my kid.... my BABY.... is actually going to leave me next year (and a year early too!!). Even though I know she is ready and will be fine, what IS it with sending your kid to school for the first time? Haven't I been looking forward to this for a looooooong time? Yes, but then today we had such a lovely day where we made a beautiful behavior chart (she was having a rough time with all the attention Colton was receiving for his poo accomplishments) and she picked out prizes she wants to work towards earning, and she was my beautiful little angel all day. And I'm really going to miss her next year. Her prizes, btw, that she came up with on her own are 1- having a cup of tea at Aunt Jennifer's apartment 2- going to the flower stand and learning about flowers from the flower man and picking some out to bring home 3- a ten minute dance party with a friend and 4- five minutes of cuddle time with Mommy in Mommy's bed. Omg, I love my little crumbcake.

And then I went to the meeting for the Lower Lab School for GT. And, thank you very much, I was not only ON TIME (yes, believe it!), but I was early. And I'm standing there, its starting to rain, and this lady behind me- with her hair all done up fancy, and her makeup with the cat eyes and her hot pink lipstick and her fancy umbrella, starts talking to me about her daughter. And, I'm seeing her mouth moving, but all I hear is "I am so snotty." And her husband is looking really annoyed, and I play along with her conversation and chuckle to myself when she starts dissing the other kids scores- because if you don't have a 99, you really have nothing.... and I just starting thinking.... is THIS what I want my child to do?? To have friends with THESE parents? I have NO desire to have this woman over to my house for a playdate. Is this what my life is destined to become????

So, I ranked her schools. Three of the seven. If she gets into one and the bus ride is less than 10 min (aka it will take her less time to get to the school on the bus than it will for me to walk her there), I'll consider it. Otherwise.... for heaven's sake, its kindergarten.
...
But then again.... this school is sooo cool!!! They spend the majority of the time focusing in on the "spiritualness of the child"- teaching the little "perfectionists" how to breath in one color and breathe out another to release pent up anger and aggression - kooky stuff that's right up my alley!! And you know any child of mine has pent up anger and aggression. We don't fight it, we accept it and move on. YOu know I love that business because I already do stuff like that with Gabriela Catalina and it works. Trust me. And they have architecture and the kids play the cello or violon twice a week, omg its a dream all the amazing things she could do there, for free, that we could never afford in the city. And I realized, though God willing not to the extreme as this other lady, I AM psycho about my kid. And psycho about all the things I want her to get to have and do. And I dont think there's anything wrong with that. I just hope that if I sound like Pink Cat lady, someone will have the youknowwhatsit enough to remind me that she is four.

Comments

Popular Posts