Granny Jo

I was looking for a video of when Gabriela had discovered the art of sticky bologna when I found this video of Granny Jo and I thought I would share. This is the way I choose to remember her.

Mid anniversary trip in Europe less than two weeks ago we recieved word that Ben's grandmother had passed away. I thought about how to phrase that... "passed away".... - those who know me well understand my struggle with death and how to communicate my feelings toward it all the while trying to be polite and respectful. I could not say she lost her battle with cancer, for I believe she won.

The losing part of the deal applies to those who are left behind; those who no longer have a reason to purchase a blue glass bell; those who don't get to hear her say, "Now y'all be safe on the road" and "I'd sure appreciate a call just to know you got there" and those who will have to wait until they can speak to their best friend face to face again.

There are two instances in my mind that stand out as victories: the first when she was told she would not make it until Thanksgiving and thus we were on the next flight to Texas... but alas we did not say good bye until June. I am proud of Granny Jo for fighting and for proving that God knows better than science. I believe in the power of faith and stubbornness and you have never met a more determined woman until you have met Granny Jo. I did not know her well in the sense of all her stories, triumphs and failures. But over the last few months I came to feel the drive and spirit of a woman who had indeed overcome struggles. Not to say she did not share during those hours of staring at the stars at various places throughout Texas... but those things are for me. The second instance is when she left this life to journey home. If God is real and Heaven is a paradise, and I believe they are, then she has not lost at all; but in fact won the greatest gift.

My mother in law told me that the last few weeks Granny Jo spent strengthening her faith, accepting what God had in store for her, and embracing His love. I thought it appropriate that the Bible verse she picked for Gabriela's story dvd months ago focused on how we should love God, because that is how she left this life... loving God.

Comments

Popular Posts