Lost and Found

This actually happened Thursday of last week- I just forgot to post it :)

Every time we go outside, Gabi walks out first and waits for me by the elevator. Sometimes, she hides in the little space between the elevator doors and sometimes she walks down to the end of the hall to knock on Aunt Megan's door. Today, we were out in the hallway together when I realized I left my keys inside on the desk. I asked her to wait for me by the elevator, stepped inside, grabbed my keys, came out and locked the door. Gabi could not be seen. Ha ha! She's hiding... so, I tip toed toward the elevator door saying, "Gaaaabi..... where aaaaaaaaaare you?" Knowing full and well where she was. Ooops- not by the elevator. Man, that little stinker is fast! Very excitedly, I make a lot of noise and exaggerate my trying to find her. I come up on the corner and say, "Peek a boo! I see-" and I jump around the corner.."Gabi?" Gabi is not there. What the crap? She's GONE. No where on the hallway. Not in the nook by Megan's apartment. Not hiding by the elevator. There's no where else to go. I start pushing on all the doors to see if someone left their door open and maybe she just went in. No Gabi. I'm totally panicky. Where the heck did she go? I yell for her in the stairwell. Nothing. I forget where my keys are and start banging on our door for Ben to help me look for her, but he's post call so he's completely worthless. I ring the doorbell without pause at least thirty times with one hand while pounding on with the other. I'm thinking... some delivery guy took her and now she is going to become some sex slave over seas and I'll never see my baby again!!! I start running down the stairs thinking I'll either find her there or somehow in the lobby- maybe the elevator opened in those five seconds I was in the apartment and maybe she's in the elevator. I burst through the stairwell and start yelling at the three guys working in the lobby- "Is she here? Is she in the lobby? Is she in the elevator?" NO ONE has seen her. She's not on any of the camera screens. OMG. Never going to see her again. I start freaking out and tried to go back up into the stairwell but I dont have keys and it is locked. I'm screaming that I need keys for the stairwell. Poor Dave, our super- he's all freaked out and I'm sure doesn't know what to do with a screaming mother so I go up one stairwell and he goes up the other. No Gabi. We meet on the fourth floor. By then I remember where my keys are, run into the apartment and start screaming for Ben to get up because Gabi is GONE. Ben sits up and stares. "Huh?" GABI IS MISSING-GET UP AND HELP ME LOOK FOR HER!!! .... five second pause... poor guy- he has no idea what is going on. HELLO?? YOUR DAUGHTER?? MISSING!!!! Okay, now he's moving. I go back into the hallway where I see Dave. No one knows where she is. Seriously?? SERIOUSLY? Five seconds for the rest of my life? DAve insists they would have seen her if she left the building but I know better. I've seen too many movies and I know that by now some delivery guy stuffed her into a pizza box or under their coat and snuck her out. I feel the beginnings of an asthma/panic attack coming when we hear a faint cry... "Mommy??" OMG. She's DEAD and her ghost is calling out for me.

Okay, she can't actually be dead and calling for me.... we stop and listen and realize the sound is coming from the stairwell. I run into the stairwell, but I've already gone down so she can't be there. I start high tailing it up and ... whaddaya know.... there's my princess at the door to the fifth floor. "Hi Mommy!!" she says with a big smile. What the heck? She couldn't climb stairs YESTERDAY by herself!!! I never thought to go up- and who would when your kid can't climb ONE stair by themselves let alone an ENTIRE flight?????? Seriously the most horrific ten minutes of my life. And poor Dave, I dont know who was more traumatized- him, or me?

Of all the moms I know, ALL of them have lost at least one kid one time. Great. Guess we can check that off my list now. Fan-tas-tic.

Comments

Popular Posts