On Being Crunchy

Being in shape isn't about the size clothes you wear, or what you look like.  Its about whether or not you can run after your kids to the park and not get winded.... which I can no longer do.

When Rachel Ramos, the wife of a high school friend, approached me and asked if I wanted to do a fit body challenge thing- she's a beach body coach- I was elated.  I LOVE challenges.  I love training for half marathons, marathons, whatever.  I'm not any good- I just like to, in the words of Professor Duru, "give it the old college try" (although that is in reference to Civil Procedure but it still counts here!).

I was super pumped to start this challenge when I realized I hadn't been to the gym consistently in months.  And when I mean consistently, I mean, five days a week minimum.  I have to go for my sanity.  And then I realized that's probably why I am losing my every loving mind and why I cannot, for the life of me, stay as organized as I usually am.  I actually missed a quiz a week or so ago- FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!!  So I realized, I should probably not pay the fee to do the challenge if I cannot even bring myself to take the stairs, instead of the elevator.  I compromised with myself and agreed (that's right- I have agreements and disagreements with myself- I like to think that is totally normal and healthy....) that if I can make it to the gym five days a week for three weeks in a row, then I've gotten it together and can participate in the challenge.

Seeing all my mom friends' posts on FB exercising has been a huge motivation- so thank you to all the moms out there who remind me that anything can be done if you want it.

I am proud to say that, beginning with my run with Kieley this past Saturday and up until today, I have thus far gone to the gym/run outside four times this week!  Yesterday was the first day I got on the treadmill to time it out... omg, it was the saddest thing ever.  34 minutes for three miles.

And that **** was HARD.  I mean like, I swear the 80 year old man next to me was passing me by.. on the treadmill.  Luckily there was already an ambulance parked in front of our building (we live in death's waiting room, unfortunately) so I felt like if I keeled over dead, now was the best chance I had that someone would come revive me.

Today I gave that 3 miles another go: 33:00.  It was so sad.  Another near death experience and no ambulance nearby.

Here's the conversation with my husband regarding this experience this evening:

(as I am eating my beloved chips.....)
Me: Omg.  Do you know how long it took me to run 3 miles today?
Ben: 33 minutes?
Me: How did you know that?
Ben: because yesterday you said 34 and I would expect you to run it faster the next time.
Me: Ugh.  You know what I keep thinking the whole time????? *** I'm OLD.  I'm really, really OLD.
Ben: It has nothing to do with being old.  It has to do with being out of shape (he looks up at me from his computer screen as I crunch on my chips....)
Me:  yeah but... crunchy is a shape......
Ben: No.  No its not.

Sigh.  I still think crunchy is a shape....

Comments

Popular Posts