And Santa Pulls Through

And Santa Pulls Through
Imagination Machine for the Win!

Before I begin, when my children are teenagers and are convinced that we exist only to make their lives miserable, someone please remind them that we pulled off a time machine with only a day's notice......

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the den
All the creatures were stirring, especially mother hen. 
The stockings were taped to the TV-less “entertainment center” with care
In hopes that Santa Claus soon would be there
The children were playing below their loft beds
While visions of a Ninja Turtle Time Machine, entered my son’s head.

And Big Papa in his ripped jeans and I in my shorts
Had just settled down to check off our Christmas List Report
When out from the kids room there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my chip-induced coma to see what was the matter
Away to their door I flew like a flash
I tripped on a Lego and landed on my sash.
The descending sun on the window of their sixth floor kids’ room
Gave a luster of magic to the idea that had bloomed.
When what to my wondering eyes did appear?
But my son with his invention and his sister he loves so dear.
With their eyes bright and gleaming, so lively and quick
I knew they wanted something different from that old St. Nick.





More rapid than eagles, their ideas, they came
They whistled and shouted, called them out by name:
“A ninja, a ballerina, a pirate, a fairy!
A bad guy, a princess, oh Mommy, it’d be so merry!
A time machine- we’d love it!  Bigger than the wall!
Santa can do it!  He can do it all!”
As leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
I frantically put them to bed and kissed them good night. 
So away to my phone to call Santa I flew
I hoped he had time, I didn’t know what to do
And then in a twinkling I heard out the sliding glass door
The pawing of reindeer, I need not worry anymore
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
In through the door came St. Nicholas, he came with a bound.
He said not to worry; he knew just what to do
He’d need recycled materials, but only a few
The boxes- he exacto knifed them, he measured with care
He duck taped like crazy, he did it with flair
A roll of tin foil, he pulled straight from his pack
He said, “Move away!  Everybody get back!”
His eyes- how they twinkled!  His Dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
He covered the boxes with the foil and tin
He poked holes in the top and the back with a grin.
The handle of the scissors, he held tight in his teeth
The magical ideas, they encircled his head like a wreath

He had a string of lights that he poked through the holes
“We can do this,” he said, “You gotta have goals.”
The water bottles he filled them, with water and glitter
It was now 3am, but that Santa is no quitter
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave us to know, we had nothing to dread.
He spoke not another word, but finished his work
He filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk
He gobbled eight cookies, he ate them so quick
He eats what he wants; after all he’s St. Nick.
He climbed into his sleigh, and we in our beds
We were oh so tired; just wanted to rest our little heads
I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight-
“Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”
 
They entered as a boy and a girl and came out a ninja turtle fighting bad guy and a Spanish Princess.

Comments

Popular Posts