Father/Daughter Negotiations

My parents always let me argue my case if we disagreed.  Actually, scratch that.  I don't think I really ever gave them a choice- I just did it.  They went along with it most the time and then at the end, just said, "Excellent points.  No."  Occasionally, when I beat it to death, they would cave.

I encourage my kids to negotiate.  I'm not going to lie, I'll taunt them if they give up on something they want so easily.  "REALLY?  That's all you've got?  Come on...you can do better.  Convince me." I enjoy a good debate.

Ben...well... he does not so much enjoy one, and usually his final answer is, "You should get a job."  Doesn't matter what our kids even wanted.

The extra reading before bedtime negotiations upstairs went as follows:
"Daddy?  May I please have a few more minutes to read?"
- 'Define a few more minutes.'
"Five?"
- 'Three.'
"Four?"
- 'Two.'
"Hey!!  SIX!"
- 'Negative one.'
"Daddy! (I'm sure she rolled her eyes.)  I'm just going to read for five then."
- 'You could get a job.....'

Comments

Popular Posts