Kay Jewelers, A ring for his future wife

Just before we moved from Rochester, Minnesota, I took Colton to the mall with me.  My clasp on my watch had been coming loose and I wanted to see if there was a jewelry shop that could fix it.  I stopped in at Kay Jewelers to see if someone could help me.  There were no other people in the store and Colton is not a wanderer, so I knew I could trust him to stick close by.  Plus, I always have my kids sing if I can't look at them so I can at least hear that they are close.  It all of the sudden became quiet, so I looked to see where he had gone.  
Of all the places in the store, he picked the best seat in the house.  I found him sitting on a chair in front of the engagement ring section.  I walked over.  "Hey, pal.  What are you looking at?"

"Mommy," he says in a wondrous whisper, "these are the most beautiful rings I have ever seen.  Do you think one day I could buy one of these rings?"

My heart swelled.  "Yeah pal.  One day you can buy one of these rings.  One day, if you want, if you find somebody you really love, you can ask her to marry you; to be your wife.  You don't need a ring to ask a lady to marry you, but if you decide to give her one, I promise whichever one you pick out she will love, because she won't be saying 'yes' to the ring.  She will be saying 'yes' to you."

His eyes were filled with magic.  He said, as if it were a secret, "It's just that these rings are so beautiful Mommy.  So, so beautiful.  I need one of these rings for my wife.  Do you think I could save my money to buy one of these rings? I have to have one for my wife."

I smiled.  "Of course buddy.  You can absolutely save your money now.  Do you want to make a separate bank account and we can start putting some of your allowance in it for your ring fund?"  His face lit up and he shook his head yes.  He asked how much money a ring cost and I said I wasn't sure, but that they were very expensive so he could just put some in there every now and then and eventually he would have enough.  He had a birthday recently and had saved all of his money.  He asked how much money he had in his bank account.  I said he had $60 and asked him how much he wanted to start with.  "$40.  $40 is a good amount to start saving for my wife's beautiful ring."  
I asked him if he already knew which ring he wanted to buy and he told me he did and that he wanted me to take a picture of it so that he won't forget which ring he wanted.  He also insisted he try it on so he could see what it would look like on her hand when she said she would marry him.  
I love that boy.  To his future wife....he's been dreaming of you since he was four years old.  Lucky lady.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts