The trouble with fairies

No lie.  This just happened.

I'm out here, reading, minding my own business, when I hear my children screaming- high pitched screeching- for help.  I've learned these late night shrills are not the cries of children being brutally attacked by a ferocious bear, as one might guess by their desperate cry, so I casually walk to their bedroom.  All I do is stand in the door.

Colton cries, "Mommy!  Gabi punched me in the back!"
GC: "No I did NOT!!"
I know my children and the nature of each pitch.  She might not have punched him in the back, but she sure did something.
Me: "Gabriela Catalina.  What DID you do?"
GC: "I gave him wings on his back and when I asked him to give me wings on MY back, he wouldn't!"
I didn't even have a chance to figure out whether or not any actual brutality took place because Colton cried, "I didn't WANT to give her wings and she FORCED me to!"

I explained to Colton that if he does not want to give Gabriela Catalina wings, all he needs to do is say so and Gabriela Catalina needs to respect his decision.

He told her he did not want to give her wings and then broke down crying like a hysterical nut ball.

C: "And when I told her I didn't want to give her wings before you came in here, she got mad and called her fairy and told her fairy to take my wings off and she did!  Now my wings are gone!!"

Omg.  You can't make this up.

Me: I take a deep breath and use my soft voice.  The sweet one I use when I'm really annoyed.  The one I use when it is 10:00 at night and I should have been clocked out three hours ago.  "Gabriela Catalina?  Did you tell your fairy to remove his wings?"  She nods very slowly.  "I'm so disappointed in that choice.  That was not very nice.  You just taught Colton that it is okay for him to do that to you.  Do you want him to call his fairies to take away YOUR wings?"  She shakes her head and tells me that would not be nice and she would be very upset.  I ask her what she needs to do to fix this.  I tell her she needs to call her fairies back so that they can put Colton's wings back on.

GC:  Her eyes are bright, filled with secrets.  "Actually, they are still here in the room.  They are watching us.  They haven't left yet so they can put them back on right now.  We don't need to call them."  I ask if Colton needs to flip over on his stomach so they can put them back on.  She confirms this is how it is done.  So, Colton rolls onto his stomach and we wait, in the dark, silently, for the fairies to come.  About three seconds later, Colton tells me they have put his wings back in place.  He wipes his tears and smiles.

Now the other one cries.  "I wanted Colton to give me wings and he wouldn't!  And that's not fair because I gave him the wings he wanted!" She cries.  Colton yells back, "But you wanted 'Elsa Blue' and I don't HAVE 'Elsa Blue' so I couldn't do it for you!"

GC:  "Mommy?  Do you have any 'Elsa Blue'? Can you please make me some wings?"

So, there we are, in the dark, creating fairy wings.  As per her instructions, I dip my finger- er, paintbrush- into my palette and draw a red outline.  I swirl pink on the wings on the insides.  I put- God help me- "Elsa Blue" (thank you Frozen for ruining my life) jewels on the red border, and I dabble shimmery sparkles all over the "wings" on her back.  I then add one silver antennae and one gold.   Colton realizes he lacked antennas so I give him some as well.

Everyone has wings.  Everyone is at peace.

The trouble with fairies... is that apparently they are real.  On the outside, it would seem like nothing happened in that bedroom tonight.  But to my kids... we had magic.


Comments

Popular Posts