Second Child Syndrome

Tomorrow Gabriela Catalina starts kindergarten.  I put one of her papers she needs to turn in to school in her backpack and I started to cry.  I didn't mean to, nor did I see it coming, promise.

Tomorrow will be a long day.  Thank God its only a half day.  Friday, the full day, comes and then I'm done for.  And thank God Colton can finally talk.  This little girl has been my sidekick for four years... and now she's leaving me.  What the heck am I going to do with my time?  Who am I going to talk to?  Who is going to sass me and come up with these outrageous ideas on what we can do for the day??  Now I'm REALLY going to be alone.  As if having a resident for a husband wasn't alone enough.  Oh crap.  Colton.  Yes, I totally have another kid that I forgot about.  Ooops.  Yes, yes.  Maybe he will do.

Hm... maybe he'll talk to me?  We have progressed past the grunting and crying, so this could prove to be entertaining.  Perhaps he will actually get to do something HE wants to do, not something Gabriela Catalina has convinced him he wants to do.  Maybe NOW he will get to be the "Prince Charming" he longs to be while he is forced to be "Ariel."  This could be good for him.  While we are on the after thought, of which is my son, the boy who is just along for the ride that is Gabalicious, I was so consumed with my first kid going off to school, that I forgot my second kid was also going to school.  Dang it!!

We've only been talking about Gabriela Catalina going to kindergarten, since, oh I don't know, the dawn of time, and then all of a sudden, yesterday, I realized I made no mention to my son, whatsoever, that HIS first day of preschool would be today.  Yup, earned a star on that one.

It actually gets better.  So last night, when I realized I have failed in the "being a mother to my son" category (I don't have favorites I swear.... well, I DO prefer the child who has not slapped me in the face if I speak the truth), I made a huge deal last night about today being Colton's first day of school.  Of course, nothing could ever just be about him, God bless him, so I also had to talk about how this would affect GC- such a woman already.  Everything affects us, even if it doesn't... but it does, so deal with it.  So now she is all excited about being the big girl helper in his class today. 

Colton gets to pick whatever breakfast he wants and whatever outfit he wants.  We walk all the way to school, chatting about allllll the amazing things he's going to do.  He's all revved up and ready to go! (thank you Lightning McQueen for your encouraging words) and we get to school, on time.  I for real get a star for punctuality since it will probably NEVER happen again.  But you gotta make a good impression on the first day. 

No one is there.  Literally.  No. One. Is. There.  Oh holy Lord, the tears. 

Clearly I missed an email. Which is odd, you know, considering I oversee the school.  I've been busy, okay?!  Three months away from home, you're lucky my kid had on pants when we left.  Turns out, I DID miss an email.  School starts next Monday.  I'll take it as a reprieve- now we get to talk about Colton starting school for a whole 'nother four days! 

You're welcome Colton.  For your life lesson.  I promise you, and don't get excited now, I got a feeling you've got plenty more coming your way.  I love you son.  Really, I do.  Just as much as the other :)

Comments

Popular Posts