An Equal Opportunity Listener

I love the random things my kids say in the car.  It is often in these moments that I fall even more in love with them than I already am, if such a thing were even possible.

Gabriela Catalina: "Mommy.  You know how in December all the stores play Christmas music?"

Me: "Yes."

Gabriela Catalina: "I don't ever remember hearing any Hanukkah music.  Don't Jewish people have songs they listen to in December?"

Me: "I'm sure they do- but you're right.  I don't think I have ever heard a Jewish song played before in stores or on the radio."   Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song that I am oh so fond of immediately comes to mind- but I'm fairly positive that doesn't count, nor is it appropriate to bring up ;)

Gabriela Catalina: "Well, I don't really think that is fair to the Hanukkah people that we do not include their music, but everybody has to listen to OUR music.  I also know there are other religions and I don't remember hearing any of their religious music on the radio or in stores either.  That's really not fair to other people who don't believe what we believe in.  We should change that and include EVERYONE'S music."

Omg I love her so much.  To me- this is what being a Christian is.  Love to all.  Respect to all.  Acceptance of everyone.  Understanding that we do not all have to be the same, yet we should all be treated the same.

And I am so proud of her for her love of everyone and her young sense of justice and fairness.

Comments

Popular Posts