An Epic Parenting Teachable Moment Fail

Tonight at dinner I expressed concern over Trump's selection of Myron Ebell to oversee the EPA transition team.

Gabriela Catalina asked why I was concerned- I said it was concerning to me because when someone doesn't necessarily think something is a big deal, its harder for them to become passionate about it and I thought that people taking over should be passionate. She said she still didn't understand why that would be concerning.

I'm not perfect.  I gave the first analogy that came into my head.

"It's like...... if Daddy were to have a problem pooping in his pants.  And he pooped in his pants every single day.  And Trump said, 'Kiki- I am going to put you in charge of making sure that NO ONE poops in their pants anymore' and I said, 'okay, sure!' but I didn't think that pooping in your pants was a problem.  This would be concerning to you, right?  That I was in charge of making sure no one pooped their pants, and Daddy pooped his pants everyday, and I didn't think it was that big of a deal?"  Ben looked at me, horrified.  Gabi looked at me like I was an idiot.  Colton laughed and asked if Daddy DID poop in his pants every day.

She said, "Um, what does poop have anything to do with the environment?"
Ben replied, "Absolutely nothing.  Your mother has lost her mind.  We're at the table and that was so inappropriate."

Sigh.  You can't win them all.  But I have to give myself credit for on the spot creativity that really reaches a topic of great interest to my audience.  But that was definitely a fail.  A really inappropriate......albeit highly amusing.... fail.

Comments

Popular Posts