Dubai Day 1




You would think I would have started out with a really awesome picture of something amazing... well, I sorta did.  This was all the different things I had for breakfast today, and, well, I'm pretty excited about it.  We know I love food.  I'm not too sure what a couple of things are that I ate- one of them was fish... never had fish for breakfast so I thought- why not?  I won't be repeating the fish tomorrow morning for breakfast though.  Not such a hot idea. But I am a big big fan of baked beans for breakfast along side some potato croquettes.  No where near as good as the croquetas Milagros made, but then again, no one could ever come close to those.  That little green ball?? Concentrated yogurt.  That bacon looking thing?  Well... they say its bacon but after I put it in my mouth, I politely excused myself and quickly spit it out.  I'm not too sure what that was, but I'm not going for it again.  Maybe it was camel bacon......

So, today was pretty awesome.  We went to the big mall- which, I know seems weird to do--- going to the mall on vacation, and it is, but going to the mall itself is a tourist attraction.  It's the biggest mall in the world complete with an ice skating rink and an aquarium.  Not very eventful, but still cool to see.

I was a little nervous about the dress- seeing as how I don't really own anything conservative, but I found some things to go almost to my knees- and, honestly, there are people here who are dressed like they are going to a club in Miami, so I don't feel too out of place.

Fun fact?  The metro is divided.  There is a section just for "women and children only"- which I think is kind of interesting.

We had lunch at a middle eastern restaurant and, well, this is something to brag about:



















Hummus, tabulah, some other thing that I don't remember that is white and delicious, pomegranate juice that was oh so tasty for the first glass and then not so good for the remaining of the pitcher and then- the famed chicken shawarma.  When presented with a menu, we didn't know what to get.  Then, I remembered Sarah practically jumping out of her seat when she heard we were going to Dubai and she practically yelled, "IF YOU GO THERE YOU HAVE TO GET SHAWARMA!! IT IS THE BEST THING EVER!!" So, Sarah, thanks to you, we had the most delicious chicken shawarma of all time.  

After lunch, we walked around a bit and waited for our 8:30 pm ticket time to go up to the top of the Burj Khalifa.  Honestly, what an incredibly experience to be on top of the highest building in the whole world. The views were amazing.  





























It was a great ending to a great first night in Dubai.

Also, little tip.  If you are running to use the ladies room before you catch the train.... it's really important that you pay attention.  The sign for the Men's and Women's restrooms look strikingly similar when you are in a rush.

Totally walked into the men's restroom on accident.  In the Middle East.  To be perfectly honest, I've done stuff like that so many times I don't think I'm even embarrassed anymore.  oops!  :)

Happy Dubai Everyone!  ps.- I promise Ayomide was with us!  He's just in the pics on my camera!!  Now off to get some sleep to prep for our six hours of meetings tomorrow!!  

Comments

Popular Posts