The Roundabout

I hate the roundabouts.  They are confusing at first and lead to chaos.  Which, while chaos can be super fun, people honking at you for either not going soon enough or going too soon is kind of stressful.

This morning, our poor little bus driver exited the wrong exit on the roundabout- which of course lead to an upheaval of the patrons.  Seriously people?  It happens. You're fine.  So she realizes its the wrong turn and asks where she's supposed to go, clearly embarrassed.  I tell her, "Don't worry about it, these things are so confusing, I hate them too."  So she stops the bus and says, in typical bus driver fashion (and you know what I mean), "Ya'll are going to need to get off this bus and help me turn it around."  Um... what?  We stand there.  No one says anything.  There is a bus full of men, sexist I know, but let's face it- my grandpas taught me there are just some things men are supposed to offer to do.  Like stand in the middle of traffic, so a lady doesn't have to.

No one said anything.  So I asked, "Like.... help you how?  Like you want me to.......?"

She says:  "Honey, you're fine.  I want that man behind you to get out and stop traffic."

He looks around..."Me?  I'm not getting off this bus to STOP TRAFFIC.  You're crazy."

Oh for crying out loud.  I roll my eyes to myself.  "It's fine, I'll do it."  She insists people help me and they all say no.  I can't help it, this is ridiculous.  Help this poor lady out.  "You guys can either get off the bus and help me, or you can all be late to work."   Two people got off.  Two.  Out of like thirty.  Of course they stood behind me and made me do it by myself, but they at least got off.

And it was awesome.  I got to stop four lanes of traffic each way.  It was the highlight of my morning, you know, after I left my son screaming for me not to leave him and why did I have to go to law school and why don't I just want to stay at home and be his mommy anymore and now he's started stuttering again- you know, after all that, it was a good little break to stick myself in traffic for the good of employment.  Yea.  Happy Thursday to me.

Point being, if law school doesn't work out for me, I'm totally going to be a traffic cop.  Because let's be honest, I love telling people what to do.


Comments

Popular Posts