The Power of Vaseline

About two weeks ago, right after my cousin left me to fend for myself, there was a little "incident." With Gabriela long ago forgoing her naps, I have given up expectations of ever sleeping again. I do, however, continue to put her down in her room for a "nap" and try to sleep until she either does in fact by some miracle doze off, breaks something, or bangs on her door.

Laying in desperate need of sleep, I ignore the shouts of, "Mommy....MOMMY!!! MOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!! I want to get ouuuuuuut! Mommy!. You let me out right now!!" Something in her voice indicates something has gone awry. I open the door and am shocked/horrified at the sight of my little girl before me. "Gabriela.....? What did you DO?"

With as much pride as she could exude from her being, she thrusts her little hand forward with a clean pair of panties and declared, "I POOPED in my panties and I want to change it to THIS one." Big smile.

"Yeah, Gabi. I smell that. But.... what did you do to your hair?"

Bigger smile. "Es jabon. I washad my hai-er." Translation- "Its soap. I washed my hair."

Turns out it wasn't actually soap. What it WAS, was an entire tube of vaseline, carefully and purposefully lathered in every single strand of hair on her head. And let me tell you... 8/10 washings and six days later, that vaseline was still going strong. I had to explain *every* where we went that her hair was in fact NOT wet, but vaselinized.

I actually had a friend come over and talk to me about the sanitation of my kids. She asked me if everything was alright over here, now that all my help had left because, well, Gabi looked dirty. Let's be honest. She looked like hobo grease monkey from the 70s. Laughing, again, I said, it's not grease. Its vaseline. My friend felt a lot better. :)

Comments

Popular Posts