A Mother's Day Surprise


I woke up this morning to hushed whispers and giggles of excitement.  My kids love to surprise me and make me breakfast- not just on Mother's Day, but every weekend.  The "breakfast" usually consists of three different kinds of breakfast bars covered in some sort of chocolate, a couple of pieces of candy from whatever holiday we last celebrated, and then some sort of snack.  They figured out that if they "make me breakfast" that they can get away with eating whatever they want.  I let it happen.  I mean, for crying out loud, they have a daily carrot minimum.  Some things you have to let go.   Their best creation was thin mint ice cream- it was honestly delicious.  They crushed up some thin mints and put it in a bowl with milk and stuck it in the freezer for an hour.  You should try it.

But today they convinced my husband to go to their favorite sweet shop to bring home fruit and scones- a balanced breakfast.  I like it.  And after saying farewell to some of our good friends who reminded me all night last night there is still life outside of law school (cough, cough, lots of food and drinking- hooray!- and also p.s. my limit is no longer four drinks.... it's three.  So, so sad), we headed out to Great Falls Park.

As we all know, my boy is obsessed with two things in life: his momma, and sticks.  And oh maron, was that kid in his glory today.  A full day of mommy time with no studying and sticks/logs/branches as far as the eye could see.  After convincing him that the twenty foot long stick was indeed a root stick attached to a tree underground, he surrendered that one in favor of a gigantic, but surprisingly light log.  The thing was awesome.  It was about four feet long and had a handle.  

I've learned to love the sticks.  "Colton!  That thing is awesome!  It looks like a bazooka!  Here, let me show you how to hold it over your shoulder so you can pretend its a bazooka and we can look for bad guys!"  Colton is obsessed with finding bad guys- so now I am, too.  I might not agree with my husband's love of killing animals, but I do enjoy hunting humans (not really- calm yourself).  I grab the log to show him when I feel something mush between my fingers.  Oh God.  Seriously?  I look down and for a brief second I feel relieved because I think its mud.  

After having been a mother for seven years, I should know by now that its never mud.  And its never chocolate.  Ever.  

IT. IS. ALWAYS. POOP.  !!!!!!  (And REALLY??? WHY IS THERE ALWAYS POOP WHERE ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE?????)

That's right.  Somebody or someTHING crapped upon our bazooka and now I am covered in it.  

Happy Mother's Day to me.

Comments

Popular Posts