The Latest Four Letter Word

You know that friend of your kid that you love dearly but gives you pause every time she wants to tell a story?  Because you never know what she is going to say?????  Because, love her as you do, her stories are beyond her years and teach your daughter about the realities of life that you are just not ready for her to learn???    The one who is a very sweet girl?  But at the same time, is the one who is also slowly but surely teaching your daughter every single four letter word that exists?  We've learned the F word first- I mean, go big, or go home, right?  Then we learned the D word.  That's my daughter's best friend.  Truly.  And God bless her she is amazing through and through but sometimes I just want to tell her- "no more stories!!!"  But I that's what best friends are for- to teach you all the things you never knew you weren't supposed to know.

As I was putting Gabriela Catalina to bed last night she says to me,
GC- Mommy, can I tell you something?
Me- You can tell me all your somethings.
GC- "K" (we will protect the identity of said child!) told me today that her mom taught her another word for happy.

She said this to me in a way that I knew, that she knew, that what she was about to tell me was bad.  To be honest, my heart kind of sank.  My first thought was that she was going to say that K taught her the word "gay"- and it made me sad that she thought that was a "bad word."  I was mentally preparing a speech in my head, about how that word was not wrong, and acceptance, and love, but I waited.

Me- what word is that?
GC- I don't want to say it because I don't want to teach it to Colton.  But its S-H-*-T.

Mother of God.  First, is it wrong that I was relieved that I didn't have to get into a conversation about  the plight of marginalized groups and our job to protect those who are discriminated against?  Sometimes the weight of the world is too heavy to hand to a seven year old and I was just....tired.  Second, I was NOT PLEASED.

So, we go into the bathroom to have our talk, where she spills the beans.

GC: "K" asked me if I wanted to know something and I said okay.  She said, "My mommy taught me a word that is another word for 'happy' but its a bad word."  I told her I wouldn't tell anyone.  So, she whispered in my ear, "Sh*t."  I was like, "What in the world does sh*t mean?" and she said (GC's face is bursting with amusement), "It means POOP!" (insert giggle here).  Mommy, why do people say sh*t instead of poop??????
Me:  You know what?  I have no idea.  I'm really, really glad that you knew that that word was not something to be repeated and I am VERY proud of you for not teaching that to your brother.  You know you can't say that word, ever, ever, ever, right?
GC:  I know.  (her face literally lights up like a Christmas Tree).  You know what Mommy?  I kind of wish that sh*t wasn't a bad word.  Know why?  Because if it wasn't, then when I came home after school today, when I walked in the door, I would have wanted to say, "I gotta sh*t."

Thanks "K."  Thanks a lot.

Comments

Popular Posts